Thursday, July 30, 2009

From our Congressman about the adoption tax credit

Please contact your Congressman/woman about HR 213 and the Haitian adoption law proposal TODAY!

Dear Troy,

Thank you for contacting me about a proposal to change the current adoption law in Haiti. I appreciate knowing your views as the parent of an internationally adopted child.

Like you, I strongly believe every child deserves a permanent and loving home. Unfortunately, laws in other countries often complicate and prolong the adoption process for American families who want to provide permanent, nurturing homes. As a member of the Congressional Coalition on Adoption, I will speak with my colleagues and the coalition chairman, Representative James Oberstar, about urging Haitian government leaders to consider the new adoption law proposal. I will also bring this issue to the attention of my colleagues on the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

You may also be interested to know I'm a cosponsor of H.R. 213, which will make permanent the tax credit of up to $10,000 for expenses relating to certain domestic and international adoptions. Under current law, the tax credit is set to return to its original level of $5,000 in 2010. H.R. 213 is pending consideration in the House Ways and Means Committee. I recognize how important the adoption tax credit is to removing the financial barriers to adoption. I will urge my colleagues on the committee to act quickly on the bill.

Again, thank you for contacting me. As always, if I may be of assistance to you or your family, please don't hesitate to call on me.


Stay in touch,

BART GORDON
Member of Congress

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Way to get involved! We can't just sit around complaining about what the government is doing.