Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father’s Day

Nothing has touched me more deeply than (this honor given to me) by the National Father’s Day Committee.  By profession, I am a soldier and take great pride in that fact. But I am prouder, infinitely prouder, to be a father.  A soldier destroys in order to build.  The father only builds, never destroys. The one has the potentialities of death, the other embodies creation and life.  And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still.  It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle, but in the home.”  excerpt from a speech given by General Douglas MacArthur in 1942 after receiving an award for being a good father

Today is the official Father’s Day holiday although I think to some degree, every day is Father’s Day.  I loved the way God designed the family unit, and the importance he places on the role of a father. Research has shown the amazing and profound impact a father(or an absent one for that matter) can have on a child’s life.  I would like to take a minute today to honor all Fathers today and specifically, three special ones in my life.  

First, I want to honor my Heavenly Father.  To Him be all Glory, Honor, and Praise.  I am so glad I am grafted into the family tree of Jesus Christ,  my life has been forever changed because of his love and mercy.

Ephesians 1:4-6 [4] For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love [5] he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will -- [6] to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Second, I want to honor my Earthly Father.  He was the one who provided me with all my basic needs, introduced me(along with my mom) to Jesus Christ, and gave me unconditional love.  He has taught me to persevere when all the odds are against you, and he has taught me to stand up for what I believe in regardless of what anyone else thinks.  Love you dad!

April2011 042 

December2010 022

May2011 015

Third, I want to honor my husband, Troy, who is an amazing father to our son, Silas.  He is patient, loving, giving, and caring when it comes to Silas; however, most of all he is teaching Silas the importance of keeping Jesus Christ at the center of all aspects of his life.  My love for Troy has grown even more as I have watched him fully embrace his role of being a father.  I am so blessed to be able to share this journey of parenthood with him! 

August2010 020

April2011 036

May2011 011

To all you amazing Fathers out there, have a Blessed and Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: